Data loss is a nightmare
Your data is worth US $10,000 per MB!
Your have invested a lot of TIME, MONEY, and ENERGY to develop your business data. Whether they are sales records, proposals, receivables, presentations, formulas or client lists, these data are the heart and invaluable asset of your business that you cannot afford to lose. Studies have shown that:
- 1MB of data is worth approximately US$10,000 1
- Re-building just 20MB of lost data could cost more than US$17,000 and could take up to three weeks to re-build 2
- A leaked record may cost you US$180 to rectify 3
- Retrieval of data from a dead hard drive can cost you a fortune, and there is NO GUARANTEE that all data can be recovered! 1
Data loss makes your business suffer
- Your business data go hand-in-hand with your business operations. The loss, or just temporary inaccessibility, of these data may threaten your hard-earned business edge.
- Companies without proactive backup and recovery policies are likely to be OUT OF BUSINESS within 2 years after the loss of their business data 4
- Loss of business data may ruin your company’s reputation or lead to expensive litigation.
- Most importantly, it interrupts your business operation.
Conventional backup methods (eg: tape) are not good enough
- High failure rates during restoration
- Problematic backup will not be detected until restoration is performed
- Slow read / write speed
- High maintenance cost
- Data is not encrpyted
- Fixed capacity per backup media makes backup job less flexible
- Prone to negligence induced problems, e.g. lost or misplaced
1 David M. Smith, PhD. “The importance of investing in that ounce of prevention.” The Cost of Lost Data. 2003.
2 Recent study from Ontrack Data
3 Breach Study,Oct. 2005 Ponemon Institute
4 Study by the National Archives and Records Administration
Fast fingers and unreliable hard drives are two major causes of data loss.